ISO 50001 is the new International Standard on Energy Management. This article gives a basic look into the need and expectations of the standard.
Energy efficiency and energy resource management is very relevant in today's context of global warming and climate change. Energy production is responsible for 60% of the worlds Green House Gas emissions. The proposed standard is in line with this requirement to help firms and organizations address and reference energy management issues on a global standard.
ISO 50001 is also in line with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 standards that address quality management and environmental management issues. Also, it will have the common elements of ISO's management standards like the continual improvement vide Plan-Do-Check-Act method adopted in the earlier ISO Management standards.
Implementation of ISO 9001 means what the organization does to fulfill the customer's quality requirements, and applicable regulatory requirements, while aiming to enhance customer satisfaction.
Implementation of ISO 14001 means what the organization does to minimize harmful effects on the environment caused by its activities, and to achieve continual improvement of its environmental performance.
Similarly ISO5000 implementation will address what the organization does to effectively manage energy resources and performance that is relevant to global standards”.
Considering the fact that
· Energy production is the main contributor to GHG emissions.
· Energy efficiency is the quickest and cheapest way to reduce CO2 emissions
· Increased cost of Energy resources
· Reduced availability of fossil fuels and other basic sources of energy in the future.
As this standard achieves wide acceptability as it combines both technical and strategic management aspects. The standard addresses issue like:
· measuring, reporting, benchmarking energy use improvements.
· assess energy improvement projects impact on GHG emissions.
· create transparency in the management of energy resources.
· evaluate the improvements in implementation of energy efficient technologies.
· validate continuous improvement in energy management.
· promoting a framework for efficient use of energy in the organization.
· helping organizations make a better use of their energy assets.
· helping in procurement practices for energy using equipment and systems.
· emphasis management's commitment to energy use and efficiency.